Kollam: At least 102 people have died and more than 350 injured after firecrackers caused a massive fire at the Puttingal temple in the coastal town of Paravur located about 60 kms from the state capital, early around 3:30 a.m. on Sunday.
According to the police, the conclusion of Puttingal temple festival is marked by fireworks which began around 1 am. It is believed that the firework sparked firecrackers stored in the storage shed leading to a huge explosion.
Kerala Fire Live Updates:
- PM has instructed that no official welcome protocols should be followed on his arrival.
- My prayers are with the families of those who’ve lost loved ones in this terrible tragedy.
- Spoke to CM Oommen Chandi ji to ensure that adequate relief, medical care and assistance is being provided to the injured at the earliest: Rahul Gandhi
- Death toll in Kollam temple fire rises to 102
- Rescue operations by Air Force underway. 4 helicopters are being used.
Fire at temple in Kollam is heart-rending & shocking beyond words. My thoughts are with families of the deceased & prayers with the injured. I will be reaching Kerala soon to take stock of the situation arising due to the unfortunate fire tragedy in Kollam: Prime Minister Narendra Modi.