New Delhi/ PIB News: Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX) framework, was launched with the aim to achieve self-reliance and to foster innovation and technology development in Defence and Aerospace Sector by engaging Industries including MSMEs, start-ups, individual innovators, R&D institutes and academia. Initially, 15 problem statements were launched. 44 iDEX winners have so far been identified for 14 problem statements. 3 new problem statements have been launched recently to expand the network.
Furthermore, DRDO has launched a program termed as “Technology Development Fund (TDF)” for meeting the requirements of Tri-Services, Defence Production and DRDO. The scheme has been established to promote self-reliance in Defence Technology as part of the ‘Make in India’ initiative by encouraging the participation of public/private industries especially MSMEs.
Further, the ‘Make-II’ procedure has been simplified to encourage wider participation of the Indian industry, with an impetus for MSME/Start-ups and timely induction of equipment into Indian Armed Forces. The ‘Start-ups’ recognized by the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), are eligible to participate under the ‘Make-II’ procedure. In addition, the framework for implementation of ‘Make II’ at OFB and DPSU level has also been notified.
The Challenges given so far under iDEX are as follows:-
- Individual Protection System with in-built sensors
- See Through Armour
- Carbon Fibre Winding (CFW)
- Active Protection System (APS)
- Secure hardware based offline Encryptor Device for Graded Security
- Development of 4G/LTE based Tactical Local Area Network
- Development of Advanced Technology Based Desalination System (Water Purification) and Bilge Oily Water Separation System
- Artificial Intelligence in Logistics & Supply Chain Management (SCM)
- Remotely Piloted Airborne Vehicles
- Laser Weaponry (No winner identified)
- Unmanned Surface and Underwater Vehicles
- GPS Anti Jam Device
ii. Data Analytics for Air Trajectory
iii. Illegal usage of Drones
iv. RADAR – IQ Signal Generator
- Four-axis stabilized antennae for C & KU band operation
- To create a Portable Spoof Emitter for surveillance and ground-based air defence weapons
Friend or Foe Identification System Maker Village, Kochi is now a Partner Incubator in the iDEX program.